I love smoothies because they’re quick and nutritious, but if they’re not done right, can spike your blood sugar and cause hunger pangs an hour or so later.
The key is to add the right nutrients to help curb cravings; fiber, protein and fats – which help keep you full for longer.
When to have it?
Because the following recipe is loaded protein and healthy fat, this smoothie makes a great post-workout shake or a quick breakfast on-the-go.
Just a few notes about the ingredients…
#1. Remember to use as many organic ingredients as possible to reduce the amount of toxins.
#2. Peanut butter: make sure the label says 100% ground peanuts with nothing else added. No sugar, no hydrogenated oils, no palm or other oils, and no salt.
If you’d prefer to use another nut or seed butter instead, go for it!
And if your store doesn’t carry it, you can make your own at home if you have a strong blender or food processor. Just add roasted, unsalted nuts and blend away for about 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy. It’s as easy as that!
#3. Cocoa Powder: I purchase mine from BeSuperNatural. It’s raw (meaning the temperature is kept low during processing), organic, non-GMO and fair trade. Plus, I like to support local companies with big hearts.
#4. Coconut water: If you’re intolerant to dairy milk or prefer to avoid it, you can use coconut water or coconut milk instead. Of course, fresh from the coconut is best, but if it’s not available, I prefer to use the kind in Tetra packs over the canned variety.
1 medium banana, ripe
½ c full fat plain yogurt (can sub with water)
1 c milk (can sub with almond milk or coconut milk/water)
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp natural peanut butter
6 ice cubes
1. Combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 2 C very cold water (or add ice)
- 5 cucumbers
- 5 large leaves of romaine lettuce
- Large handful of fresh spinach (or 3-4 cube of frozen spinach)
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 apple
- 1 banana
- 1/2 fresh lemon, peeled, seeded
- 1/4 C parsley
- Add first 5 ingredients in the same order as above in blender.
- Start blending on low speed, blend until smooth.
- Slowly increase speed - add rest of ingredients until smooth.
- Eat your smoothie! Store the rest in airtight bottle in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Use as many organic ingredients as possible.
If you found this post useful, chances are your friends and family will too. Hit that button and share the love!